Why make this blog?
There are thousands of Excel sites out there, why another?
This is a way for me to share scripts and tips I find interesting or helpful.
The following are the guidelines I intend to stick to as much as possible.
- Keep it simple. This applies to the code, the blog and life in general. Don't over-complicate!
- Make it Modular ( where possible ) - This follows on from #1.
Don't write the same book twice. If you're finding yourself writing the same code afresh each time you create a procedure, find a way to turn it into another function you can re-use.
- Don't re-invent the wheel - If it's been done before (and likely better) - learn from it, cite it.
- Credit where credit's due - Where building upon the code of others, Cite sources.
- The Right Tool for the Job - Excel can do a lot, but not everything. If there's a better tool to do what you need ( interactive dashboards - Qliksense, Summing Millions of lines of data - SQL Server , Making Coffee - Nespresso )
- Annotate Annotate Annotate. - Yes you know what the variable "asfasdfsdf" means now, but will you remember in 6 days, let alone 6 months? No. Add comments, explain what you're doing and preferably, why!